Candied Orange peel, cashews and chocolate give these chocolate orange cashew pastries a crunchy, creamy filling with wonderful flavor.
This week was crazy busy. It was one of those weeks where I always seemed to be behind. Study Abroad is in full swing and that takes most of my time. My daughter is here in Cambodia but goes back to the US on Tuesday to pack for college. I’m leaving for home in just 2 weeks so I need to pack up my apartment soon.
I needed something I could throw together fast for our morning coffee meetings and I’m also trying to get rid of my kitchen supplies. I had some phyllo in the freezer, some oranges and some East Bali chocolate cashews. I always have chocolate about so this was easy.
Candied citrus peel is easy to make and it’s a great flavoring or garnish for a lot of dishes. I make it often and try to keep in on hand. It’s great for recipes where you want to add citrus flavor without moisture. Or when you don’t have fresh citrus around.
It’s so easy to make a flaky pastry with phyllo. Just layer phyllo with butter and crumbs and then roll or make in triangles. This recipe uses three layers of phyllo.
I spread a piece of parchment paper on my table and prepare the phyllo on it. If the phyllo tears a little, don’t worry. The next layer will hide the tear. Chocolate orange cashew pastries are especially easy to make because you cut your stack of sheets into fourths, fill them and then roll.
- 12 sheets of phyllo
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- ¼ cup cookie crumbs (I used chocolate chip cookies)
- ½ cup chopped candied orange peel
- ½ cup chopped chocolate cashews (or plain ones)
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips or chopped semi sweet chocolate
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Thaw phyllo according to directions. Put a sheet of parchment paper that is larger than the phyllo on your work surface. Place one sheet of phyllo on the paper. Brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with cookie crumbs and place another sheet on top. Brush the top layer with melted butter and sprinkle some cookie crumbs onto the tp. Add the third layer. Cut the layers in half lengthwise and in half widthwise.
- Mix chocolate chips, chopped orange peel, and chopped cashews together. Spread a few tablespoons of filling mixture in a line along the short end of the phyllo. Leave about ½ inch at each end uncovered. Roll the phyllo into a log.
- Place pastries 2 inches apart on parchment-lined cookie sheet. Brush tops with melted butter and bake at 375°F for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool. Drizzle chocolate ganache on top.
Put chocolate chips and cream in a bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Stir and heat again in 30 second intervals until chocolate just melts. Let cool until lukewarm and drizzle on pastries.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 206Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 19mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 1gSugar: 19gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information is provided as a guide only. Please consult a dietician for specific dietary needs.