Summer Berry Pudding is a traditional British dessert that transforms plain bread and some berries into a stunning, flavorful dessert.
Summer is the time for berries.
- 4 cups mixed berries
- ½ cup water
- 1 ½ cups strawberries
- ½ cup sugar
- 8 slices good quality white bread
- Put berries (except strawberries) and water in a saucepan. Cook over medium high heat until the berries soften (about 5 minutes).
- Add strawberries and sugar to taste. Set aside to cool.
- Line 6 ramekins or bowls with plastic wrap. I used 8 ounce ramekins. You need containers that can hold at least ⅔ cup liquid. The plastic wrap should hang over the sides far enough that you will be able to fold it back over the top when the ramekin is full.
- Use a biscuit cutter to cut 12 discs of bread that will fit snugly in the bottom of your ramekin. Cut the rest of the bread into strips that will fit the sides of the ramekin. I put a disk in the bottom of each ramekin and then put the strips into the ramekin to make sure everything fit.
- Pour some of the berry juice into a shallow container with a flat bottom. Dip one side of the bread into the juice and line the ramekins with the juice soaked bread. The juice side should be facing outward.
- Spoon fruit and juice into the ramekins. put a juice soaked disk on top with the juice side facing up.
- Fold the plastic wrap over the top of each ramekin. Set the ramekins on a tray and place a can on top to apply pressure to the bread and fruit inside.
- Refrigerate overnight. Carhefully unmold the puddings onto their serving plates. Top with whipped cream and any remaining fruit.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 232Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 205mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 6gSugar: 27gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information is provided as a guide only. Please consult a dietician for specific dietary needs.